Wednesday, February 7, 2007

What do you mean turn the heels one at a time?

Well the photos are not that great but I got the heels turned.



Click on the photo to see it in a separate window. I have added some notes regarding the heels.

As I said in the previous post you turn the one heel and then the other and then you pick up the stitches along the heel flap. I will not attempt to explain how this is done. But you can find out how to do this quite well at the following website: Cyber socks I used this site to teach myself this technique about 2 or 3 Christmases ago and haven't looked back since. It is laid out well from start to finish, easy to understand. I would recommend that you use 2 different colors of yarn for your first pair. That way you don't get confused with which yarn should be used for which sock. And it gives you an excuse to knit another pair for the mates and for extra practice. I would also suggest that you use different brands of needles of the same size so that you will know which needle goes where because you always knit the same stitches with the same needle. Once you do that you will have it made. I use Addi Turbos size 2mm and have no problem now keeping it all straight.

Now I have picked up the stitches along the heel flaps and I am knitting both socks at the same time again. I have nearly finished decreasing the gusset. Then its on to the toes. Actually these socks have taken longer than I normally do because I have been so busy with other things in my life. I hope to finish the decreases tonight and get a good run at the foot.

The next 3 photos will give you a good idea of where I am now.


From the front


From the back


And from the side

That's it for now. I will try to get something on here when I get close to the toe and when I start the toe decreases.

2 comments:

Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

I love the color of the socks you are making. My daughter has been pestering me to make her a pair of socks with orange and lime green color in them! I really want to learn how to knit two socks at once one 2 circular needles... I may touch base with you for tips if I ever venture to try this.

AnnKnits said...

By all means Line, contact when you are ready. I would love to share what I know about it with you. Check out the link in the body of the post. That website is excellent and full of good information. Just follow the steps in the lessons and in no time you will have a pair of socks. Thanks for your comments.

Ann