Saturday, February 17, 2007

Where are the photos you promised?

I have been so busy, thus the lateness of the photos. As a matter of fact I have been busy knitting. I have a photo of the beginnings of my Jaywalkers in Austermann Step [I am using color 01 laub (Gold,Brown,Multi-Color)] and then I have a photo of the cuff nearly done.

The finished Knit Picks have been sold!



Can you believe it? I took them to work to show my friend and she bought them! She has purchased socks from me before so when she saw these she freaked. They are colors that she is currently in love with - she is going through a 70's retro phase - so she started digging for money immediately.

So they are gone with a fond farewell.

I photographed the beginnings of my Jaywalkers


and then continued knitting and now the cuffs are about half done.





I like this pattern very much. Its free (see link above). It is easy to do, only 2 rows to the pattern and it makes a firm fabric. The pattern is coming up nicely and looks lovely in the long color runs of the Step yarn which are interspersed with short one row lengths of white.

I am not so sure how I feel about the yarn. I hate yarn that halos while you are knitting, which this one seems to be doing. I am also not so keen on it because the yarn tends to split a bit. But it is very soft to knit with of course with the Aloe and Jojoba in it. I am not sure how they will wear. The info on the Yarndex site says the Aloe and Jojoba will last for up to 40 household washings. I will be interested to see if that is indeed the case.

I have made a couple of mistakes but I have not frogged or tinked them. They are there and not too noticable. This is a departure for me. I generally frog or tink (knit backwards) every little boo boo but for some reason I felt the need to just let the little faux pas be what they are - part of my socks.

The pattern is written for DPNs but I am using my usual 2 Addi circs in 2mm. There is also a pattern out there for Toe Up Jaywalkers and there is a resourse for making larger size Jaywalkers. This pattern is the creation of Grumperina . You can see lots of finished Jaywalkers in her Gallery . Why not give them a try yourself.

I will probably post again when I get the heel started.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Great socks! I knit the same knit pick colors not too long ago and gave them to a friend. They are really cool colors mixed together.

Jaywalker pattern is my all time favorite sock pattern that I have come across yet. Enjoy!

KnittenKnots said...

You are the sock queen!! Those Jaywalkers will be really nice too - such a fun pattern to knit. Mine came out a little snug but nothing too drastic.

Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

I am knitting my first pair of Jaywalkers and am loving the pattern too. The next pair of socks I knit, I plan on trying the double circular technique. I may get in touch with you for tips!