Sunday, January 28, 2007

What did you go and do?

I think I have hit on a little running theme here, I have been asking a question each time I post. That may change but for the time being I have lots of questions and by no means do I know all the answers so this continues to be an adventure.

The Opal Silks that I had on the go are done.



And although I did not want to start another project just now, since I am trying to clean up the things that have been languishing for ages, I set up another pair of socks.



I knit all my socks on 2 circs. These are Addi Turbos 2mm. The wool is Knit Picks Simple Stripes. I had read a lot about Knit Picks on several Yahoo Knitting groups that I subscribe to and so thought I would give it a try. Its knitting up nicely thus far. It doesn't split and it is not feeling rough. I like the 70's style colors and I have a friend who would love to have these socks. I will decide if I will let her have them when they are done. I am big on fraternal pairs of socks, I don't care if they match. I did when I first started using self striping yarns but it took so much non knitting time to find the right sequence that I gave up. I decided that fraternals keep me in touch with my rebellious nature.

I gave the stash an airing the other day as I mentioned in a previous post and found a lot of sock yarn. I have some Fortissima, Lang Jawolle, Regia, Koigu and Knit Picks to name a few and this ball of Opal.


I want to start a pair of socks in this as well. So I had best get the new socks off the needles ASAP. But then yesterday I was at London Wul and brought this (among other things) home.



Its Austermann Step with Aloe Vera. Now the socks I make with this will be for me - she of the sandpaper feet. So maybe I will start these before I dig into the Opal just because socks with lotion are really intriguing.

My reason for going to London Wul was to attend a Drop Spindle 101 class. Heidi has a wonderful program set up and she told me that it was her favourite class to teach. She did an excellent job explaining things like Staple and Crimp. She gets you spinning in no time and is wonderful at giving hands on instruction. This is the rest of what I brought home.



My spindle, my first one ply yarn and my first bit of plied yarn. Of course I had to bring home some roving to practice. I got a bag of hand dyed roving for a very reasonable price and I am having so much fun practicing. My fingers are a bit sore but I had a blast.

I met a great group of YOUNG ladies. I was the oldest person there and have been knitting longer than they had all been alive. Really! I have been knitting for like 49 years and they all seemed to be under 35! But everyone was nice and we have a great time. One of the young women, Tanya like me has been knitting since she was 5 years old. Check out her blog link on the left of this page. She has some photos taken on the day.


Heidi's shop is sooooo awesome. Kim (one of the "kids" at the class) and I decided we wanted to throw all the fiber and yarns in a pile and just roll around in it. Lime and Violet, one of my fav pod casts usually say they want to rub it on all their naughty bits. Now I certainly won't be doing that but it made me chuckle a couple of times as I fondled all the luxurious fibres and yarns.

Also hiding in my stash is a great deal of worsted weight from Briggs and Little and some from MacAusland's Woollen Mills on Prince Edward Island. I think I will make a felted bag and I have more than enough to make some clogs and some work socks for my dad and hubby but I will plan that out later.

But all of this blogging is taking me away from knitting and spinning so I guess that's it for now. I want to add some more blogs and websites to my lists to your right but that will wait too since before knitting and spinning I want to head to a local pool for a swim, my favourite form of exercise.

4 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Saw your link on Tanya's blog and thought I'd stop by and say hello. Sounds like you all had fun at the spinning class. I really wanted to go as well, but couldn't make it. Hopefully they'll offer another class sometime that I can get to.

Your socks look great!

Feel free to stop by my blog, http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com

The Gourmet Goddess said...

I'd just like to say that I am pushing 39! But I'm thrilled that you thought no one at the class was over 35. And I believe you are telling stories when you said your age. I think knitting must be keeping you young! Ah ha! We've found the fountain of youth - it doesn't come in a jar, it comes in the form of passionate hobbies (also known as obsessive compulsive behaviour but we'll keep it positive!) Glad to meet you.
CJ

KnittenKnots said...

Great socks! That aloe vera yarn is very intriguing - you'll have to let us know how it is to work with. Looks like you've been getting some spinning done too - I haven't picked mine up since the weekend but I'm planning to get back to it on Saturday.

Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

Yes, as the gourmet goddess said "I thrilled that you thought no one in the class is over 35". I am 37... And to answer a question you asked in a comment you posted on my blog... I didn't have a blog on Sunday. I created it on Monday.

It was wonderful meeting you at Heidi's class. Looks like you and Tanya have had more time for knitting and spinning than I have had this week ;-) I still haven't had a chance to pick up the spinning again. But look forward to this weekend.