Monday, February 26, 2007

What do you mean - They don't fit? - an update


Well they just don't fit, that is all there is to it. The Jaywalker fabric, because of the way it is knit, is not very flexible. There is little to no ease in the fabric at all. And I knit quite tightly. So, silly me, having turned the heel and finishing the gusset, I decided to try one on. Well I managed to get my toes in the cuff to about half way down but there way no way in this lifetime that my feet ( they are ugly chubby things) would ever fit all the way into these very soft socks. Why I didn't try them on sooner is beyond me but I didn't and so I am paying the price. I generally don't swatch for socks. I have knit so many that I usually know what to expect with this weight yarn (it's Austermann Step) and my 2mm Addi Turbos .

So to the Frog Pond they went. And after rewinding the wool, I set up another pair. This time I am using 2.5 mm and I am using the pattern for larger Jaywalkers .




I have cast on 100 stitches, have the ribbing done and I am just starting the pattern so we will see if this does the trick. I am definitely going to try them on sooner this time. I will keep you posted.


2 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I'm making the Falling In Love socks (my first toe up socks ever), and finished the first one today. I added a ribbed cuff to the top of it (my decision) and ended up binding off too tightly, even though I did it loosely. Now I have to decide what to do...I'll probably frog back a few rows and bind off with larger needles or something like that...otherwise I can't get them over my heel.

Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

Hi Anne,

I had to start the Jaywalker socks twice in order to get a proper fit. I had originally started using the large size on 2.5mm DPNs using FleeceArtist sock yarn. They were way too big for my narrow feet. I could have put both feet in the one sock. I ripped the sock back and then used the small size with 2.5mm DPN. They fit much better, although they could have been a bit narrower for my foot. I guess with this pattern, it is matter of trial and error to determine the best size for your foot.