Saturday, January 20, 2007

Is the water warm?

I am not so sure that I can do this very well but here I go, into the "knitting blog pool" for the first time.

I am a 53 (nearly 54) year old mother of 2 grown boys, happily married for nearly 35 years. I have a full time job as an Administrative Services Assistant (that's a politically correct way of saying I am a clerk). I love my job but am looking forward to retiring when my husband retires in 2 or 3 years.

I love to do a myriad of crafts. I crochet, sew, paint, macrame, bead, do paper crafts and much more but knitting is my first love and the one craft that I keep returning to because it comforts me most consistently and it so fully nurtures my need to be creative.

I have been reading blogs for ages, I receive digests from online knitting groups and most recently I have been listening to podcasts. I invariably search for blogs and casts about knitting. I have been really enjoying the incredible creativity that has literally exploded in the knitting and fibre scene in the last few years.

I am amazed at the number and kinds of people who have jumped into "the knitting pool". Young and old, men and women, they are all having fun doing what inspires them and in the sharing of the craft, so many other people are being inspired to try the craft and to create.

So I have decided to jump "into the pool" too and try a few laps in the blogging lane. I know absolutely zip about blogging but I like to learn and I have tried for the last 4 years (since the year I turned 50)to learn at least one new craft related skill every year. Now I know blogging is not really crafting but since I read knitting blogs and since I want this blog to be about crafting but mostly about knitting, I think this will qualify as "THE" 2007 CRAFT RELATED SKILL.

In this process, I hope to share what I know, what I create and what I think about all that is knitty and crafty. I do have lots of other interests that may pop up from time to time as well. I am not a great writer or philosopher, I am not a fabulous designer so there may not be much here of interest to too many people, if anyone at all. I hope however that this endeavour will, at the very least, give me a chance to see what I can do and learn something new in the process.

So, as I jump into this huge knitting pool full of groups, blogs and podcasts, my only question is - Is the water warm?

No comments: